British Foreign Commonwealth Office

Notarial and documentary services guide for Spain

Documents, certificates, letters and notes available at British consulates in Spain.


British consulates in Spain issue a wide range of legal documents for British nationals. An appointment must be made for each service.

If there is no specific formal requirement for a notarial service or certificate to be provided by the British consulate, Spanish notaries or lawyers in Spain can sometimes provide these services more conveniently, quickly and cheaply.

It is essential to check with the relevant authority (town hall/registry office/tax authorities/foreigners office, etc) either in the UK, Spain or a third country, whether the consular certificate or service will be accepted. Only the relevant authority can confirm which service you will require. This information cannot be verified by the British consulate.

Fees for consular certificates and documents are paid at the consulate on the day of the appointment and can be paid by credit card, debit card or in cash. Refunds will not be given for certificates or notarial services that are not accepted by the requesting authority.

If you cannot find what you are looking for in the list below please see the our services section at the British Embassy Madrid or see the list of services provided elsewhere.

The services we provide in Spain:


Each service has an individual fee which is reflected in the Consular Fee Table.

These fees are charged per person so if you and your partner are both British, you will have to make two separate applications.


By Visa, Visa Electron, MasterCard, or cash on the day of the appointment.

Services not provided

The British Embassy no longer handles applications for renunciation and naturalisation or registration as a British citizen. All applications are now handled by the UK Border Agency.

As of 2 September 2013, we no longer provide the “Consular Certificate: Change of British passport number on renewal”. Instead you can download a free copy of an Informative Note in Spanish which may serve in place of the certificate.

Alternatively you can submit a Freedom of Information Request to HM Passport Office, asking for confirmation that you were the holder of your previous passport(s). Please visit HM Passport Office for further information and contact details. British consulates cannot answer any queries on this subject.